Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I'm Glad To Have Made The Change

Recently I've switched my reading from the AMP to the KJV (Evidence Bible) and I'm so glad that I have.

There are a number of translations of the Word out today. People argue left and right over which one is best. Few argue that the KJV is anything but the 'gold standard' though. It's a bit hard to read. The Evidence Bible has mostly fixed that for me thankfully.

Those who criticize the other translations will often use the scriptural position and deity of Christ Jesus as a focal point of why we should avoid some translations. I agree with this position, however, I'm actually becoming more concerned with the many more subtle changes in context of the general text in these same translations. A chart showing how the different versions handle the authority and power of Christ (His preeminence) is here. An other table showing various omissions and contradictions issues are here, and yet more showing deleted scripture part 1 and part 2.

In reading I Cor a couple of days ago I came across the following two examples, which may or may not be listed in the above tables (I haven't checked them in ages). These stood out to me because now reading them in KJV they finally made sense to me. Here ya go;

I Cor 7:6

"But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment." KJV

"I say this as a concession, not as a command" - NIV

"But I am saying this more as a matter of permission and concession, not as a command or regulation." - AMP

I've heard pastors speak of this verse several times, with differing approaches but basically all less than sturdy. The KJV seems (to me) to indicate Paul had permission to speak of this, but had not been commanded to give this information to the Church. Paul was commissioned to give the Gospel of Grace to the Church - specifically the Gentiles, he was commanded to give it to us. To say he's saying something as a "concession" or to be "permissive" always seemed weak to me. It didn't fit with the rest of the things Paul wrote. The idea that he had permission to give this info, which does fit well with Grace, makes more sense than if he was conceding to the state of the people there.

I Cor 1:4 is similar in that it's meaning is changed dramatically by the translation - at least the way I read the other translations.

"I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ" - KJV

"I always thank God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus" - NIV

"I thank my God at all times for you because of the grace (the favor and spiritual blessing) of God which was bestowed on you in Christ Jesus" - AMP

I've always thought Paul was writing how he thanked God "for them", IE for having them in the Church, not "on their behalf". On their behalf makes more sense, especially given how he goes on to say they are still babes in Christ. They don't yet understand Grace, nor even the basics. They don't know to thank Him for the Grace He has given, especially in light of the state their assembly was in. So, Paul thanks Him on their behalf. An interestingly merciful prayer. That by telling them will lead them to understand they should be thankful of this.

My concern about the various translations is it's very easy to mislead a person by putting your own bent on a subject in the verses. I struggle with this as I post on this blog every single time. These are always my thoughts, and where I am currently at. They should never be confused with direct revelation from God, which is what His inerrant Word absolutely is.

No comments: