Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Just A Little Greek


I've dreamed of being able to read and understand Biblical Greek for a long while. Since I began my studies on the weekend I have learned to read the Alphabet and how to properly pronounce many words. Over the last three years I've spent a great deal of time looking into the Greek on subjects so there are a number of words I am already familiar with. The connecting of what I already knew, with the ability to speak and read is amazing. I'm SO hopeful. Today I was able to get a copy of "A Reader's Greek New Testament" (check it out at Amazon) from The Bible Treasury Bookstore.

Today I am very thankful to be able to read several verses in 1 John and John's Gospel as well. The speed of learning seems to increase as you go. Looking at the first verse was like looking at a pile of spaghetti noodles on a page but as I practiced those lines became letters and those letters became words. I fully encourage any and every Bible student to jump on board. Today I am able to read, just a bit, of the Word of God as it was written. Not just someone's translation of what the Word of God is.

Brother Robb and I are studying together. Why don't you join us? It's not expensive, and the rewards are wonderful even after only a few days. We've got a section of the Pillar of Faith forum dedicated to Greek Studies. Here's a direct link to a guide on How To Begin.

1 comment:

Jonathan Perreault said...

Kev,

This sounds exciting! Mounce's resources are extremely helpful. Also helpful is the book "Basic Greek In 30 Minutes A Day" by James Found. This book has illustrations to help learn the vocabulary words.

JP