Sunday, September 13, 2009

At the foot of the Cross, or seated in Christ in Heaven?

Thinking of Luke 5:8 and Luke 15:11-32 J.N. Darby wrote the following.
Does any Christian say, "I am at the foot of the Cross"? But Christ is not at the foot of the Cross--He is in Heaven. If you are really at the foot of the Cross, you have not come to Him yet. You are laboring about in the thoughts of your heart, and have not followed Him in faith to where He is. If you are at the foot of the Cross, you have not come in through the veil by the Cross. If you were inside the veil, you would know yourself worse--not one good thing in the flesh.

It is precious to see a soul exercised even in that way, as the prodigal son was when in the far country; but he had not come to his father then--he had not yet found out where he was. There was a mixture of self, not knowing the father, and talking about becoming a hired servant. It is not humility, as people think, to be away from God saying "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man." Is insensibility to God's goodness humility?

The prodigal could not dictate and prescribe when his father had his arms around his neck: he had no business at all to be in the house as a hired servant. Taking the position of hired servant is not humility--it is a mixture of self with the knowledge of having gotten away from God. There is one way of coming in; it is by Christ who is in the Glory. You must take the place Christ provides, or none. We have no title to any other place.

Death and judgement are gone; Christ cannot die again. The victory is complete. Sins are put away and He is gone into Heaven in consequence; and that victory is ours.
As I read that I think of Eph 2:4-6 and Phil 3:17-21

The summation of these thoughts is particularly striking.
The prodigal could not dictate and prescribe when his father had his arms around his neck: he had no business at all to be in the house as a hired servant. Taking the position of hired servant is not humility--it is a mixture of self with the knowledge of having gotten away from God. There is one way of coming in; it is by Christ who is in the Glory. You must take the place Christ provides, or none. We have no title to any other place.
What position is provided for you? What position do you seek? Are they one and the same, or are you still mixing self into what you trust?

6 comments:

Luke said...

I like it :) Eph 2:6 came to mind immediately. Many times has it been impressed upon my mind by preaching and books that in order to overcome sin I must "go to the cross". In other words, I must bewail my sinful state, weep and cry over it and hoist that heavy cross upon my back and carry it.

Rather, the scriptures declare that I AM crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live.

I have been to the cross. I have died and I have risen.

My duty as a Christian is not to go BACK to the cross, but to simply remember it - reckon myself dead to sin and go to Jesus - who is seated in heavenly places, and I together with Him.

Kevl said...

It is a pretty neat way of looking at things isn't it?

Encouraging to see beyond ourselves to that which is promised.

Kev

David Wyatt said...

That is so liberating bro. Kev! I still have so much to learn. I tell you, the longer I am in Christ, yet also in the world, the less i see that I really know, & the more sinful I am, but the sweeter His grace becomes! Thank you again brother!

Kevl said...

Few could say it better than that David!

Kev

Luke said...

The teachings of Lordship Salvation did so much damage to me.

I don't know how they can even go on living sometimes.

As I grew, I only saw myself as more and more sinful. Sins that I stopped doing didn't seem to offer any assurance that I was saved, as there was a mountain in my life that still remained, whether or not they be gross sins of the flesh, or sins of ommission.

I really appreciate what David said - the more sinful we see ourselves, the more gracious God's grace is to us.

I cannot understand how Lordship people can even think to look at self for their assurance or base their salvation off a check list of things they have done or don't do... I know they claim that they don't, but when pressed, they all do this.

David Wyatt said...

Thank you bros. Kev & Luke for your kind words & encouragement. Bro. Luke, LS did quite a bit of damage to me as well. All I saw within was what the Bible tells me I'll see anyway (Ro.7:18, Mk.7:21-23) so I'd just as well pass on that one. Much rather look on the beauties of His holiness!