Friday, January 11, 2008

KDE 4.0.0 released and it does matter.


I've spoken about my growing love for Linux here before. Some of the things I love about it are the security, the availability of tons of high quality software for free, and the openness of the OS. If there's something you'd like to change.. you can. From the color of your desktop to the shape of your cursor to how the system works deep under the hood. It's all open for you to play with.

Well today KDE 4.0.0 is released and it matters to people in Christian ministry because it's not only beautiful, it's free. That means you can have a top quality product without having to spend money on it that could be used in other areas. Often we are tempted to save money on important things like computers so we can put the cash "where it's needed." But if our systems get compromised, or don't work very well, or at all... then our ministries take the hit. Linux really is a viable answer to this problem. Currently some 85-95% of production at The Cross Current is done on linux. The old problem of not being able to work in the "real world" with Linux just doesn't exist anymore. And while my installation of KDE 3.5.8 is tweaked out to look really good, KDE4 looks that much better and is way faster. So, I get to enjoy an incredible desktop while I work.

I encourage you all to check it out. I use the distribution called Kubuntu.

No comments: