Friday, April 21, 2006

How do you answer this?

So often I'm confronted for my "fundamentalist" beliefs, and my strict belief in the inerrancy of the Word with a simple, annoying but stupefyingly effective statement. Effective in shutting down a rewarding conversation that is.

"I don't limit God to what I can understand."

Often I interpret this to mean, "I don't believe the Word and my imagination is much more interesting and it fits with my personal values so....."

Just now reading at AiG's website I saw written the "right" (at least I hope so!) answer to this ridiculous statement.

Paul Taylor of AiG-UK answers this with "I don’t limit God at all. The limit that I apply is this: I limit myself to what God has written."

I don't limit God, I limit myself to what He has written. Brilliant!

Hey this answer can't be worse than the one I usually give which goes something like this "Grrr.... do you realize what you just said? You think you can dream more than God can reveal?... Grrr....." Actually, most times it's much worse even than that. Doh!

No comments: