Thursday, April 06, 2006

Are You Legalistic? I sometimes am.

Here's a great article that talks about what true legalism is and isn't. You know as I continue to face this test and these trials I'm constantly tempted (I think that's the right word) to fall into legalism.

I ache to be completely, 100% obedient to the Word. This isn't legalism. However, sometimes my motivation moves from pleasing God to hoping to gain favor with Him and have this affect events here on Earth. This IS legalism.

"See Daddy, I was really good today! Can I now have that candy?" This is a legalistic motive for following the rules.

"Daddy, even though I didn't see You all day I did the things I know (because You've told me) You'd want me to do. Just to say 'I love You'." This is obedience.

The impact of the difference is immense. It's a lesson that we all likely struggle with. Again, as with everything else about our relationship with God, it's a heart issue. Obeying the "rules" is not bad. Obeying the rules to look good is. Obedience is an act of worship and love.

1 comment:

Angie said...

tks Kevl for the link to Dr Roberts's sermon on legalism. It truly set me free, coupled with my pastor's sermon on Fri that broke my bondage of legalism and condemnation for the past weeks. :)now i'm free to enjoy & rest in God's love all over again!