Thursday, March 16, 2006

Of Other Tongues

Are Tongues real? Yup. Clearly they are, as the Bible records their use many times.

Are they for today? I don't see why not. I have neither read nor heard an argument against the current use of Tongues that has stood up to even a basic study in the Word. Even though I dodged this one, some people will stop reading after this statement, others will be encouraged.

Are they for all believers? Nope. Now some other people will close the page.

Today we're going to have a quick look at I Corinthians 12. I do not make the above three statements based on any opinion of mine. Last night I prayed it through with God. I said boldly that if Tongues are for all of us then I want the gift. I simply want all of Him that I can get. I am almost greedy about it. Then I asked, if this gift isn't for everyone for Him to give me rest about the topic and give me clear understanding so I can share it with others, and not to condemn them but to aid in understanding. After I had been trying to sleep for nearly an hour I opened the Word and made my way through Chapter 11 and 12. In 12 my prayer was answered.

I Cor 12:4 says "Now there are distinctive varieties and distributions of endowments and they vary, but the Holy Spirit remains the same." Then verse 5 explains it by showing something we all see..."there are distinctive varieties of service and ministration, but it is the same Lord Who is served."

Verse 7 goes on to say "But to each one is given the manifestation of the Holy Spirit for good and profit." Then Verses 8-11 explains this statement. The Apostle Paul goes through many gifts saying "to one is given" for each of them. At the end of Verse 10 we find ..."to another various kinds of unknown tongues, to another the ability to interpret such tongues." The point is made at the end of Verse 11 saying "... the same Holy Spirit, Who apportions to each person individually exactly as He chooses."

The next number of verses give the familiar explanation of how the body is made of many parts yet they don't all have the same function.

Verse 28 Paul offers that "...God has appointed some in the church: First apostles; second prophets; third teachers; then wonder-workers; then those with ability to heal the sick; helpers; administrators; speakers in different unknown tongues."

Verses 29-30 he asks about each of the gifts "are all apostles?" "are all prophets?" "do all have the power of performing miracles?" "do all possess extraordinary powers of healing?" and finally "Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?"

Clearly, Paul is indicating in Chapter 12 of I Corinthians we are each given different gifts according to how the Holy Spirit chooses. In Verse 31 Paul finishes the thought, indicating that we shouldn't be obsessed with these gifts anyway. "...And yet I will show you a still more excellent way one that is better by far and the highest of them all - love."

3 comments:

Angie said...

Hi!

tks for shedding some light there. i've never read it that way and it's great to see it in that angle. I used to have difficulty explaining to christians from the traditional circle why i believe that tongues has not ceased. contrary to their believes.

and i'm surprised that you have neither read nor heard an argument against the current use of Tongues :) if someone from the traditional ask me how can i be sure the 'Tongues' i speak is real, I could only explain that just as it takes faith to receive my salvation, it's the same faith that assures me that i'm indeed speaking in the Spirit and not gibbering. :)

Kevl said...

Hey Angie,

Glad to see you back! I've read a bunch of agruements but none that haven't been able to be beat down by reading the Word.

There are issues of why don't they happen like they did in Acts with tongues of fire and such. I can't explain this, other than to say it was a sign, and signs only happen when they are needed.

I don't have the gift so I do find it hard to understand, but they are in the Word so..

Angie said...

hi kevl

abt the speaking in tongues, many years back, a pastor prayed for me receive the gift of Tongues. I didn't rec it immediately. I'm not sure if it's becos i came from a traditional circle.. so, inwardly, there was some kind of 'resistant'. And although I was told we have to first speak out in faith before the HS could take over, everytime i do it, i have goose bumps. I felt like i was gibbering nonsense. Because of that, I stop praying in Tongues. For many years, as much as 6 yrs, I've always believed that Tongues have not ceased (although i dun practise it). Somewhere towards the end of last yr, my pastors began preaching more abt the power of praying in the Spirit. It was then that I decided I would speak in faith. Since then, I've experienced more breakthrus in every areas of my daily life.. and the most precious one was my husband turning to God (which I've been praying for abt 6years!). And I realised it's actually so so simple. :) If your church practises the speaking of Tongues, have a pastor to pray for you. Otherwise, I believe you too can receive the gift if you ask the Lord for it. :)

btw, your walk has been a blessing to me as well. :)

Blessings!
angie