Saturday, October 15, 2005

A Strange Secret Place

It's another rainy Saturday in Nova Scotia. I woke up with my wife this morning and watched as she got ready for her workday with a sense of no particular purpose for my day. She had a ride into work and so I didn't even have to take a shower if I didn't want to. So of course I didn't. The Lord didn't get me out of bed to study, which is odd as He has every morning (other than two) for the last 7 weeks. After a kiss good-bye and the closing of the front door I didn't take long to fall asleep on one of the couches. 2 Hours later I awoke, still with no real "get up and go".

Figuring this was just a test of my diligence I decided I'd use my own will to get into the Word and study a bit. Nearing the end of 2nd Peter it just wasn't "happening". I started to think about Scott Holtz's description of the "secrete place". He has these places he goes to where he can connect with the Holy Spirit and hear clearly from Him. I've been praying about this idea, wondering if it was just some flakey idea or if there really was something to it. So in the most casual of ways I start praying. I turn on the radio to my fav station CJLU (Christ Jesus Loves You www.cjlufm.com I'm listening right now via their listen online function), and wouldn't you know it theres a person talking about "the secrete place". I decided that since I didn't have a big "logical" plan for the day so I could afford to be what I call "flakey" (so spirit led that you seem to just drift everywhere). As it turns out there was nothing flakey about my purpose for the day.

I showered, got presentable, and headed out in my car. After some debate and prayer I found myself in a strange spot. The last spot you'd think to go to hear clearly from the Holy Spirit. I parked my car in a small parking lot near a park where men meet for homosexual sex. As I had been driving up to it I was a bit confused and then it hit me that it was perfect. I could be there in a dark place reading the Bible and praying for those poor souls.

As I sat in my car I finished 2nd Peter and then started in James . I was learning, but better yet as men drove into the parking lot I would pray for them. Pray they would be released from their burdensome sin. They would come park and then leave. I didn't see anyone "connect". After about 40 mins there were no more cars! I got a clear sense or inspiration that I had done what the Father had asked me to do and I should leave. As I left I saw one SUV pull into the parking lot. I offered a quick prayer for the man but I knew it was time for me to carry on with my day.

I don't know how to tell you how you can determine if something is flakey or is actually of the Spirit. What I can suggest is this - what do you have to lose if it is flakey? Nothing but your pride. I know for sure God wants us not to be full of pride. He's surely beaten the pride out of me. Remember to test all spirits with the Word. Beyond that just do it! (sorry Nike it's a good phrase)

No comments: