Monday, December 03, 2012

Aborting the mumbo-jumbo around abortion.

Why do the women who "choose" to have abortions make the choice they do?

Seriously. Why exactly?

I don't talk about politics and social issues here at OMW very often, but this week I was jumped on by a couple of my cousins on the subject of my support of Hobby Lobby's petition for an Obama Care exemption. Hobby Lobby doesn't want to have to play money for things like abortions and the poison commonly called the "Morning After Pill."

It's an emotional topic, and I want to note the mumbo-jumbo before I abort it with the answer to my question above. I'll tell you right off the start I am 100% against the killing of unborn children. The only possible exception to a complete ban on killing of unborn children that I could bring myself to support would be in the case where the mother's life would be in jeopardy to carry the child any longer. That's right, even in cases of rape or incest I do not support abortion. What did the child do that he or she deserves to be killed? Because something evil, terrible and damaging happens to one person doesn't mean they get to kill another.

So why DOES a woman who chooses to have an abortion make that choice?

Is it about her body? Because "a woman has the right to choose what happens to her own body" after all. In years past I would have said she made that choice when she chose to engage in behaviour that would get her pregnant. But there's a much more fundamental answer.

No it's not about her body. Do women EVER have abortions to get rid of a growth in their body? Is that the reason? "Doctor, there's something growing in my midsection and I want anything growing in there!" No. Women who choose to have abortions make that choice to avoid having a baby child in their life. The reason they do not want the child doesn't matter, they do not want the child so they kill it before it is born.

Why do I say the reason doesn't matter? Many times the issue gets clouded with "The child would have a horrible life because... it's really an act of mercy." or "It would be a huge financial burden..." or... whatever. In years past I would have talked about how it's not OK for me to rob a bank to avoid financial burdens... or to kill homeless people out of "mercy" because they will have a horrible life... But you know what? That's just the politics of the discussion.  The reason doesn't matter. Other than for personal defense of one's own life there is no such thing as justifiable homicide.

Do women ever get abortions because they don't want a fetus? "Doctor, this fetus is unacceptable to me!" No. Women who choose to have abortions make that choice to avoid having a baby child in their life. The reason they do not want the child doesn't matter, they do not want the child so they kill it before it is born.

So let's get past all the political mumbo-jumbo shall we? The reason woman who choose to have abortions make that choice is because they don't want to have a baby child.

Therefore it doesn't matter when life begins. It doesn't matter what the Church says, or what Scientists say. It doesn't matter about what any politician or activist group says.

The woman is making a choice to deny a child life. That is murder. How can ANYONE be OK with that?

The next time you find yourself justifying abortion by saying it's "just a fetus" or "it's not alive until the X trimester or X week..." see if you can figure out why the abortion is desired and see if you can still live with it.



No comments: