Friday, January 06, 2006

Who is This Guy?

I wonder who the Jews thought This Man was, or who He Was/Is going to be. I posted recently about how they missed who Jesus was because they were looking for a King as He'll be when He comes the second time. Therefore we should take this as a warning and really be honest in our searching the Word for how He'll return to us for His second coming. But, and this is showing my ignorance, I wonder who they thought the man described in Isaiah 53:1-12 would be if not Jesus.

I have been given concern for two things, the credibility of the Word (and therefore the Faith) and also for the proper interpretation of it. These are no small things. By concern I do not mean "responsibility" but I do mean that I feel concerned that there are strong attacks on both of these fronts and I feel led to be in the fight in those areas. I'd love to say I'm prepared for that fight, but I am not. Though I will be, God willing. With both of these issues in mind I'm often reminded how Jewish scribes and scholars missed our Lord's first coming (in flesh). These people know the Old Testament like the back of their hands. Deception is powerful, never doubt that.

In my life I keep coming across scripture in my study time, that I've been preached to on. Sometimes I'm finding the preacher might have completely missed the point. That is not to say that "I know best, and everyone else is just unaware". My point is two fold. I've been preached at for most of my adult life and I've never grown like I have until I personally got deep into the Word. The second part of my point is this, if you bring an agenda into the Word when you read, then you are not listening to the Teacher, God the Holy Spirit who was sent to Earth for the very purpose of teaching you & I. If you approach the Word in prayer, and seeking only to have what it says revealed to you, then you will find knowledge and wisdom abounds in it.

No comments: