Thursday, April 11, 2013

On Van Til, Charlie Clough, and Presuppositional Apologetics

Brother Glenn has just posted an article about Cornelius Van Til, who I would consider the father of Presuppositional Apologetics, and Charlie Clough's "Bible Framerwork" course over at his Wisdom and Knowledge blog.

Some of you may be familiar with Sye Ten Bruggencate and his ProofThatGodExists.org website (which I do not endorse). Sye is a friend of a number of my friends but I have never met the man. He is sincere in his work but his approach is radically different than what I see in the Scriptures so I am uncomfortable with it overall. He does have some good points that he makes, and he and I would engage in similar discussion with Sinners from time to time. I'm not saying he is all bad, but I am saying that a lot of what Brother Glenn points out in his article seems to be true of how Sye works in his ministry as well. This of course makes sense as Sye come's from the Van Til line of thinking and even recommends Van Til's books.

Here is how Glenn opens his article:
It is my conviction that there are issues with Cornelius Van Til’s presuppositional approach to apologetics which Dispensationalists in particular are not generally aware of. Through Charlie Clough’s popular Bible Framework series Van Til’s apologetics are taking hold in dispensational circles. My goal is not to tell anyone what they can or cannot believe. Rather I want to encourage our next generation of Dispensational pastors, seminary professors, and Sunday school teachers to be Bereans and look good and hard at the implications of this system!
Please visit and read this article at The Wisdom and Knowledge Blog.

No comments: